More and more personal injury lawyers are suggesting that their clients use a pain journal after an accident. Victims can not only participate in their case using a journal, but they can also enhance their ability to be paid compensation by doing so. Read on to find out how to use a pain journal to help your vehicle accident case.
What a Pain Journal Will Do for Your Case
Pain journals can be helpful in several ways:
- It serves as a memory aid. You may need to recall events several times during the personal injury case. When you speak to your personal injury lawyer, you will need to remember events. Also, when you are deposed and when you are on the stand (if your case goes to trial), you will need to be able to recall important details about your accident and treatment.
- It provides therapeutic value. Many accident victims find that writing about the accident and their recovery is helpful in processing the way their life has been changed.
- It provides proof of what the victim has been through. Victims are paid for their pain and suffering based on how the accident has affected them. A pain journal provides a narrative of what they have gone through because of the accident.
How to Use a Pain Journal
For some tips on using a pain journal to its best advantage, read below:
- You don't have to go out and purchase a journal. You can use a spiral-bound notebook, your phone, or anything else that you are comfortable using.
- Use your journal regularly to get the best use of it. Set up a reminder so that you don't forget.
- Begin by writing down what you remember about the accident. Be as detailed as you can about the time, weather, your destination, etc.
- When you have a conversation with your attorney, insurance representatives, your doctor, and others, note it down right away.
- Each time you have a medical treatment, make notes about the appointment. Be sure to write down the medications you are prescribed and any side effects. This is a form of damage related to pain and suffering.
- How you are feeling since the accident occurred should take up part of your journal. Accidents can impact you and your loved ones in a major way. You may be feeling anger, sadness, irritability, and more. Note down your emotions and why you believe you are feeling that way.
To learn more, contact a car wreck lawyer.